Tuesday 28 May 2013

More Rwandan refugees living in Congo Brazzaville to voluntary repatriate

More Rwandan refugees living in Congo Brazzaville to voluntary repatriate
More Rwandan refugees from Congo Brazzaville show willingness to voluntary repatriate, before the UN Cessation Clause comes into effect on June 30, 2013.

The remarks were made by a group of ten Rwandan refugees, who returned from Congo Brazzaville to their motherland, on May 23, 2013.

The group comprised of seven men and ten women was received at Kigali International Airport.

Josephine, 58, mother of nine was less of words, when she saw her second born Mr. Sumbusho Innocent after 19 years of separation.

“Last time I came here at the airport since I had been informed that there were people repatriating from Congo Brazzaville and I guessed my son could be among them. That day I got very nervous and I returned home without hope that my son would come back,” said Josephine.
“Thanks to Lord as now I have all my children, even if I die today, I have nothing to blame my God.” She excitedly said
Sumubusho left Rwanda during the 1994 Genocide against Tutsi. He arrived in Congo Brazzaville in 1997 after three years of exile in DRC.
“Is this Kigali or am dreaming,” Shumbusho exclaimed as he turned around to explore the shining Kigali night sky. “I realize now that what I thought was impossible has now come true,” Shumbusho said.
Ignace Nzaramba, father of three was also among the returnees. He left her wife and children in Brazzaville.
“I decided to come alone first to prepare how we shall survive when my entire family returns, but I am determined to do all arrangements as quick as possible to ensure that my wife and children are also repatriated very soon.” Said Nzaramba.

The returnees affirmed that some Rwandan refugees are still reluctant to return due to false information propagated by hardliners who need to hold refugees to cover their interests.
They are however extremely grateful to their relatives in Rwanda who tireless called them, proving that Rwanda is safe until they got convinced to return.
“I called him every day to return, trying to provide all evidences that we are safe in Rwanda. I am very happy to see again the last born of my mother,” said Musabyemariya Epiphanie, who had come to receive her brother Nzaramba.
The returnees were immediately transported home by their relatives after a brief screening by MIDIMAR and UNHCR officials.
Over 6000 Rwanda refugees are estimated to still be hosted in Congo Brazzaville.

The 1994 Rwanda genocide and its aftermath and armed clashes in northwestern Rwanda in 1997 and 1998 – the last time the country experienced generalized violence – produced more than 3.5 million Rwandan refugees.
Most have since returned to Rwanda, including recently, 12,000 mainly from Democratic Republic of Congo.

An estimated 100,000 Rwandan refugees remain in exile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons